Its 3 AM and you’re sitting on the couch with me, awake and all smiles, playing with the remote control (your new favorite toy). I don’t know why you decided to wake up at 12:30 and I don’t know why you refuse to go back to sleep…I guess you really like Halloween. While we are sitting here playing and cuddling and eating (you’re eating that is) I can’t help but think about all the little things I love about you right now, things I know won’t last forever, that I never want to forget. Things that make being awake at 3 AM totally worth it.
your sweet baby breath
how soft your hands and feet are, especially after a bath
the cute dimples on your knuckles
your chubby baby thighs
how you insist on holding a finger while you nurse. if you can’t get a finger you grab some skin on my chest. how hard you squeeze and how you move whatever you got a hold of around like you’re conducting an orchestra. if you lose your grip, how your little hand searches until it finds something to hold on to.
the way your hand rests on my chest when you fall asleep nursing
the sweet huge smile you get when you are awake and eating – you’ll detach and look at me and just grin like you’re the happiest girl in the world – then you dive bomb for the boob again
your ever so sad pout
how you love to talk to your daddy in the mornings after your second wake up – or any time of the day. your conversations are endlessly amusing.
the high pitched squeal you have when you’re really happy
the smile you give me for just a split second in the morning before you start to cry because food wasn’t put in your mouth .3 seconds after being awake
the way you clench your hands under your chin like you’re praying
the way your tongue seems to be constantly finding a way out of your mouth
how happy you get when we stand you up – for the first few seconds you act like it’s the first time you’ve ever done it
the little curl of long hair at the back of your neck
your beautiful blue eyes – even strangers can’t resist them
how when you see something interesting you slowly start to lean forward to get it. then you throw yourself backwards. then you lean forwards, then backwards, on repeat
the way your eyes get big when you see something new or something you like
the shocked then happy look you get when I put you in the bath, or we pour water on your hair
how endlessly amused you seem to be by the curtains
the way you sometimes suck in your sleep, even though nothing is in your mouth
even the crazy whining noise you make when you’re not hungry, you’re dry, and you’re not tired – you’re just unhappy. this sound is made mostly in the car seat.
your amazing eyelashes that I hope never change
how you look for me when you know I’m in the room and the smile you get when you see me
your adorable toothless gums
the little sigh noises you make when you're falling asleep - especially when you're eating at the same time
your amazingly cute but strong little toes – you’ve managed to pull my hair with them
your constantly moving legs
how sweet you look sleeping on your stomach with your little booty sticking up in the air
the feeling of your head on my chest
every single thing about you
“from your head to your toes, you’re not much goodness knows, but you’re so precious to me, sweet as can be, baby of mine.”
you made me cry. i remember all those things about baby you.
ReplyDeletelove you so much, mom
Oh, I love to read all about your family's journey together- and especially about Madeline!! Can't wait to see you all- hopefully in December? Either here in Charlotte- or we may have to scoot on down to Georgia!
ReplyDelete