Turns out, we were lucky and the hurricane was really not bad for us. We had a lake in our backyard for the day and one small limb fell off the tree in the front yard, but aside from that no damage and no flooding for us. A car down the street apparently wasn’t so lucky and a tree fell on him, but I think that was the extent of the damage around our area. We didn’t even lose power or cable, which is really a minor miracle, because we lose power when its sunny and 75 our. I know a lot of the Bronx wasn’t as lucky as we were, so we owe a big thank you to all the people sending happy thoughts our way …I’m pretty sure that is what kept the power on.
Derek is lucky and the cancelled school on Tuesday, so he doesn’t start until Wednesday. I’m kind of having a minor panic attack about it. He will only have class 3 days a week this semester, but he will be gone allll day those 3 days, which not only leaves me alone with the baby, but with cooking responsibilities. Gah. I hate cooking but I’m looking at this as an opportunity to learn more. I mean, eventually he’ll be leaving me for good and I’m going to have to feed myself and Madeline, so I need to learn eventually. I don’t think I’m ever going to love it, but maybe it’ll grow on me.
I’m also not thrilled about him not being around to help with all the little stuff he does for me all day long – like get me water, snacks, or even the remote or my phone when I’m stuck on the couch during marathon feeding sessions (which I’m praying end soon). He won’t be here to help with the diaper changes or to hold the baby while I take a shower. He has been the best husband and daddy and even though he hasn’t been able to share the responsibility of feeding her or comforting her when she only wants the boob, he has done everything in his power to make me and the baby comfortable and happy. There is no way I would have made it through the past 7 weeks without him. I know I’m incredibly lucky to have had him home to help for so long but I can’t help but be sad he won’t be around all day. Heck, I’ll miss him just keeping me company. On the bright side, 4 day weekends = lots of time for adventures or just extra days to sleep in and have movie days on the couch.
From Nanny in Fairburn: Lindsay, that is the sweetest thing anyone could say about 'my little Derek', thank you dearest. Love you.
ReplyDelete