Saturday, September 3, 2011

Madeline in Manhattan

There is actually an episode of the tv show Madeline called “Madeline in New York.” I just found it before I made this post. We’re going to have to take her everywhere they go on this show. I have a feeling she is going to end up hating the books and movies after we basically shape her life around them..haha. I can’t wait to make her dress up in the little dress with the little yellow hat with the bow.

So Madeline had her first trip into Manhattan last Friday. Like I said, she did really well, and was asleep in the Baby Bjorn basically the whole time, which made taking pictures of her a little difficult, but Derek did his best.

So the goal of the trip was to get some tomatoes from the Union Square Greenmarket, eat at Korilla food truck (it’s a Korean bbq food truck from NYC that is on the food network’s show “Great Food Truck Race” this season, and then go to the Little Lebowski (a store devoted to the movie “The Big Lebowski”), and get some cheese at Murray’s Cheese shop.

DSC_0830

Outside our subway station

DSC_0832

DSC_0837

Waiting to take her first subway ride. Like I said, she wasn’t thrilled, but she did ok. She likes to be moving, so all the starting and stopping wasn’t her favorite. She ate a little and feel right back asleep though.

DSC_0840

DSC_0841

DSC_0843

The Union Square Greenmarket. After we found our tomatoes, I needed a bathroom break, so we took a little break in the Barnes and Noble (which is 4 stories tall and so huge). After that it was time to head over to look for the Korilla food truck. Supposedly they are in front of the Trader Joes on 14th street everyday after 4, but maybe because of the impending hurricane, they were no where to be found.

We did however, find this ridiculously huge line outside of Trader Joes wine shop. Apparently cheap wine is a hurricane necessity.

DSC_0844

DSC_0845

The guy in the green is at the door…the line stretches way out of the picture. There was an equally impressive line at the Trader Joes itself.

DSC_0847

DSC_0846

We did find the Cupcake Crew truck and decided to try some cupcakes. Derek had the Mango Coconut, which he loved, and I had the Red Velvet, which was good but nothing special. I forgot to take pictures of the cupcakes. After this, we took a little stroll through Washington Square Park.

DSC_0849

DSC_0858

Two people having a light saber battle in the park

DSC_0861

DSC_0865

DSC_0866

at the arch in the park

DSC_0868

DSC_0870

DSC_0875

At the fountain

DSC_0879

DSC_0877

(this is terrible but you can see the sign for the store)

DSC_0881

We found the store which was ridiculously small and had a surprising amount of customers. Not so surprising…how weird every single person in the store was.

After we left the store, we went to Murray’s and Derek got some goat cheese. At that point, I was tired and hot, so we had a quick, surprisingly good dinner and then went to Pasticceria Rocco’s, which is right across the street from the cheese shop. We went because they advertised the world’s best cannoli, and we’re pretty sure the cannoli’s on Arthur Ave win that hands down. We got a cannoli, an éclair, and cheesecake to bring home.

DSC_0882

DSC_0884

The éclair was yummy and the cannoli was really super awesomely good, but Derek and I agreed….Arthur Ave still holds the title for best cannoli ever.

Derek has pictures of her first cab ride on his phone, so I’ll have to get him to put those on here.

So far our little yankee baby has been through an earthquake, a hurricane, has been to the Brooklyn Bridge, Union Square, Washington Square Park, Arthur Ave, taken a ride in a cab, 2 different city buses, and the subway! She has been busy for 7 week old!

 

And for your viewing pleasure…Madeline in New York…

1 comment:

  1. Samedi - what a fun video and sprinkled with many french words ... no one will ever get tired of Madeline story books and I just loved the video. It was good to have a picture of Mother and baby, you look great dear Lindsay. Thanks for writing about your trip and sights and for the pictures. You are great to keep up updated and to give us a glimpse of life in New York. Love you all. From Nanny in little 'old' Fairburn.

    ReplyDelete