I’m not thrilled with my current OB so I’ve been trying to find another one in the area. Its been pretty difficult and at this point, I’m just all around discouraged. I’m discouraged with the process of finding a doctor in a low income area, I’m discouraged with our insurance and how they handle situations, I’m discouraged with my lack of choices. I’ve tried looking in our zip code and that is a no go. There are 7 OB’s …4 at free health clinics, 2 with disconnected numbers, and one that I’m seeing now. I tried another zip code and looked up the two doctors that are within a 30-40 minute drive (no traffic). One has terrible ratings and when I called the other one to ask what hospital she delivers at the girl on the phone said, “I’m not actually sure right now.” What exactly is that suppose to mean? You don’t know what hospital your doctor is affiliated with or where they deliver babies? That makes no sense to me. There are two hospitals that have OB’s and I’d like to check them out but both of them are about an hour away on a good day. Its just really frustrating. I want to be comfortable with the person delivering my baby and the hospital I have to go to, and right now I’m not, and I can’t seem to do anything to fix the situation. It makes me want to quit trying.
People keep saying we should be grateful to have free insurance, but I’m not. Free healthcare in a non military area gets you about what you pay for…nothing. If the military offered me an option to have paid insurance that was like BCBS or something more well known and widely accepted, I’d pay for it in a heartbeat. At this point, I wish I had switched to the insurance from my job, but if I leave the job before I deliver, then I’ll be right back where I started.
Just add this to the list of one the wonderful things about the Bronx.
No comments:
Post a Comment