Lindsay has enlisted me to write up a blog post with my review of our fantastic meal last night at Le Bernardin. All the pictures were taken on my phone so sorry if some are a little blurry. We both ordered the Valentine’s Day tasting menu and I go the wine pairing to go with it. The wines they paired with each dish are in italics under the descriptions. Unfortunately Chef Ripert did not make an appearance, but the world famous sommelier Ando Sohm did stop by our table a few times and poured my wine. Also, Lindsay spotted Kelly Bensimon from the Real Housewives of New York sitting a few tables away from us.
So, with one last thank you and I love you to Lindsay for taking my out to the new best meal of my life….on to the review.
Baby Shrimp Amuse-Bouche in a citrus/ginger foam.
So, while reviewing these, I'm not even going to bother using the phrase 'perfectly cooked fish' because every single dish was. Anyway, this was a good opener, the foam wasn't too strong and didn't overwhelm the shrimp, which were perfectly cooked(whoops).
Scallop Slivers; Mandarin Puffs and Scorched Lemon-Rosemary Vinaigrette
Wine Pairing:
Botani, Moscatel Secco, Malaga, Spain 2009
Best dish of the night by far. I don't think I have ever had raw scallop because usually the scallops I find don't smell to0 great raw...this was unbelievably good. They had none of the fishy smell or taste that scallops usually have. The vinaigrette was amazing and they put it on the plate and made the little dots at the table, pretty fancy. Also the mandarin puffs are freeze dried and are like a citrus packed little crunchy thing...awesome.
Warm Peekytoe “Crab Cake” Persimmon Ribbons, Chili Crab Broth
Since Lindsay couldn't eat the raw scallops, this was her replacement course. I had one bite of it and enjoyed it, the broth was amazing.
Seared Langoustine, Mâche, Wild Mushroom Salad, Shaved Truffles; White Balsamic Vinaigrette
Riesling, Kabinett, “Rotlack”, Schloss Johannisberg, Rheingau, Germany 2008
Lindsay's favorite course and I understand why. This thing was like lobster times 10. Really, just imagine the best lobster you have ever had, make it more tender, sweeter and butterier. It also had a brown butter sauce that was way better than the one I tried to make recently. Oh yea, and there was a little piece of foie gras sitting on top hiding under the garnish. I think those of you who know me will understand how I feel about that. (Hint: it’s a good thing)
Osetra Caviar Nestled in Tagliolini, Warm Sea Urchin Sauce
Thalassitis, Gaia Estate, Santorini, Greece 2009
Lindsay wasn't a huge fan of the caviar, but she really liked the pasta and sauce, which of course were amazing. I think this was my first time eating sea urchin anything and it was great. Also, forget eating caviar raw...it is meant to go in that sauce, Eric Ripert and God had a talk and that was decided.
Poached Halibut; Braised Artichoke, Chestnuts and Bacon
Persian Lime-Scented Truffle Broth
Sauvignon Blanc, “Moarfeitl”, Neumeister , Styria, Austria 2008
So I had halibut at a nice restaurant on our anniversary and then I had this halibut. This is another time I have to mention perfectly cooked, because holy cow, Kevin Gillespie you are an awesome chef still, but send your cooks up here to learn how to cook halibut. I honestly didn't know you could cook fish that well. And I am referring to the fish only, not the sides or sauce, which were great, but I could have just eaten that piece of fish by itself and been happy.
Baked Lobster; Molé Purée, Stuffed Baby Cabbage and Bacon Bordelaise
Rioja Gran Reserva “Prado Enea” Muga, Spain 2000
Ok, my only real negative comment. The bacon sauce was too much, the last course had a bacon sauce, two in a row is just a little uncalled for. Don't get me wrong, it was a great sauce, but I don't want 2 courses in a row tasting like bacon as much as I love it. Also, it didn't even need the sauce, the mole alone would have been sufficient. The mole was delicious but you could barely taste it covered up by the bacon sauce. Also, the stuffed cabbage was awesome.
Poached Chilean Turbot; Wild Mushroom-Black Truffle Custard, Spiced Squab Jus
Pinot Noir, ‘Les Voisins’, Copain, Anderson Valley 2009
Probably my second favorite dish of the night. The custard was a bit strong to eat by itself but mixed in with the sauce it was great. Also I think all the truffle shaved on top of that fish should do the talking for this one. Enough said.
VACHERIN
Lemon Cream; Raspberry, Basil, Rose Sorbet
Torrontez Sparkling-Deseado Familia Schroeder, Patagonia
Amazingly good. Really bright flavors and they all went super well together. Kind of like really amazing sherbert.
MILK CHOCOLATE
Milk Chocolate Parfait ; Passion Fruit Caramel ; Coconut Sorbet
Château La Rame-Reserve, Saint Croix du Mont 1999
Not a huge chocolate dessert guy, but this was amazing. Incredible texture to the parfait. Also the coconut sorbet wasn't overpoweringly coconutty, just a light touch. Also, I'm usually not big on dessert wines either, but that one was super smooth...think I'm going to try and find a bottle.
Speaking of wine pairings, they were all amazing. I will definitely be trying to find some of these bottles in the future. Also on the wine none, Their wine list was like a novel…a novel with a $12,000 bottle.
Milk Chocolate Pots de Crème Egg with Caramel Foam, Maple Syrup, and Maldon Sea Salt
The 'secret' free dessert. Not on the menu, you just have to ask for it. Yes that is an eggshell. Yes it is filled with deliciousness. Yes, sea salt makes it all taste better. I think I had a dream about this thing last night after I got home. There is a recipe for this online, but I don't think I even want to try, there is no way I could recreate that. Perfect.
Petits Fours
Not much to say here...They were good but not mind blowing, but that's not the point of them anyway. Usually this is the point in the meal where I would order a coffee, but I don’t think it would have fit into my belly.
Close up of a petit four with the restaurant’s logo on it.
Birthday cake that they brought me after overhearing that it was my birthday. Super super rich sweet cake, and it had more of that coconut sorbet that I liked on it. It was really awesome of them to bring it out and we felt bad not eating all of it, but we were stuffed and it was just so rich.
So, sorry Mom, this meal has now passed our meal at Bacchanalia as the best meal of my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment