Saturday, January 2, 2010

2009 - A Year in Review

JANUARY

DSC_0208

January was our first month as newlyweds. I was back in Auburn, starting a new job with the Athletic Department, relishing graduating college, and still working at the airport. Derek was hanging out in Charleston, waiting to leave for NSI.

FEBURARY

DSC_0347 DSC_0335

February brought Valentine's day, Derek's 23rd birthday, and our last goodbye before we moved in together. He left for NSI that month.

MARCH

DSC_0370 DSC_0377

For me, March was working, waiting, and painting the bathroom in my condo all by my lonesome. It was my first painting project and didn't turn out all that shabby. Could have picked a better color though. Derek was just at NSI, freezing in the snow and wind, and mostly doing nothing too exciting.

APRIL

DSC_0506 DSC_0526

DSC_0531

April was soaking up the last of Auburn and Newnan, packing, and leaving :( April was hard.

MAY

DSC_0536 DSC_0589

May was getting to NYC, getting lost in NJ, getting sick, getting homesick, unpacking, and exploring.

DSC_0676

It was also my 23rd birthday and my first away from home. May was pretty hard too. Although, it did bring joy in the fact that every day I woke up next to my best friend. No more goodbyes, no more waiting to see each other for three months, no more hours on the phone. He can also ice a cake like a pro (hehe). I guess you could say the tradeoff wasn't so awful.

JUNE AND JULY

DSC_0632 DSC_0307

DSC_0084

June and July were one long blur of settling in and exploring the city.

DSC_0351

Jessie came home from Spain and we drove her up to Camp Ramapo.

DSC_0406 DSC_0464

Derek had a Navy friend visit and we all went to see the July 4th fireworks over the Hudson with what seemed like the entire population of NYC.

AUGUST

DSC_0050 DSC_0073-1

August began with picking Jessie up from camp, having her stay for awhile, and a really botched trip to Chinatown that left some scars on my feet.

DSC_0086-1

It was also the month I went home for my friend Ashley's wedding, which was beautiful, and I have no pictures of it at all. That is what going solo to a wedding gets you. Derek stayed home because of school stuff and got horribly sick while I was away.

DSC_0102-1_edited-1 DSC_0081-1

I got to spend some time at home, though not nearly enough, before I headed backme .

DSC_0132 DSC_0155-1

What greeted me was more rain and a really happy hubby and puppy. There was also a few awful storms that month. There was some more exploring, despite the bad weather.

SEPTEMBER

DSC_0262 DSC_0270DSC_0279

September started with our first 9/11 in NYC. We went over to Brooklyn to see the skyline when they lit up the twin tower memorial lights. It was so foggy and we almost gave up, when the lights peaked out. It was a really cool thing to be able to see.

DSC_0307-1 DSC_0349IMG_0761_edited-1

September brought a visit from my beautimous Gran. We drug her around the whole city, probably walked the length of the island twice, and in return she took us to see Mamma Mia! Her visit was wonderful and too short. Next time you come Gran, I promise there will be less walking!

OCTOBER

DSC_0422-1

Brought weather cold enough to break out the penguin suit

DSC_0428

My first (failed!) attempt at grooming

DSC_0491-1 DSC_0506_edited-1

Apple picking upstate

DSC_0596-1

And pumpkin carving!

NOVEMEBER

DSC_0605

Started with the Navy Ball

DSC_0626 DSC_0677-1DSC_0637

And ended with an amazing trip from my amazing family. Not to mention the yummy Thanksgiving meal made by Derek. Their trip was the push I needed to make it to this vacation.

IMG_0973

I guess I should mention the oh so close Iron Bowl loss as well.

DECEMBER

I don't have a picture of it, but December began with me getting my official NYS driver's license.

DSC_0702

There was also the first sign of truly cold weather, with slush/snow rain type stuff, and icicles!

DSC_0711

It was also the month I got to meet the Pioneer Woman at her book signing in Columbus Circle. The wind chill was 14 degrees that afternoon, probably lower that night, and I thought my face was frozen in place.Totally worth it though.

DSC_0734-1

It was our first time lighting the Hanukkah candles together and also our second Christmas (more on that later).

DSC_0751

We had our first wedding anniversary

DSC_0809

Oliver, Jessie's new puppy, joined the family (also more on him later)

DSC_0933

And we got to make a quick trip to Auburn before 2010 (maybe more on this later as well)

Looking back, 2009 was much busier than I remember, which must be why it went by so quickly. Overall, I couldn't have asked for much more out of one year.

No comments:

Post a Comment