Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The honeymoon we never had

"I feel like I've been misplaced in the cosmos and I belonged in Maine." - Terry Goodkind

"I looked along the San Juan Island and the coast of California, but I couldn't  find the palette of green, granite, and dark blue that you can only find in Maine." Parker Stevenson

Of all the places I've been in my 24 years, I've never been north of Boston, and I only accomplished that a few months ago. But now, I've made it all the way through New England and it was everything I thought it would be and so much more. I've dreamed of visiting New England for years. No, really I've dreamed of Maine for years. Somehow, all those Stephen King books subconsciously imbued a love for a place I'd never even been close to before. When we moved to NYC, I knew that I'd finally have the chance to visit. I had two vacation days from work and nothing to fill them with, so we decided to finally take the trip. With no real agenda, except to see Stephen King's house, we took our cues from things I read online and planned our trip pretty much along US 1 (which apparently goes from Maine to Key West, conveniently connecting two places I love) .

Our trip began at around 7:30 PM on Wednesday. Derek picked me up from work, we did some last minute packing, and then disaster struck. I lost my camera charger. It has somehow completely and totally disappeared and has still not been discovered. No battery = no camera = earth shattering tragedy. Someone might as well have kidnapped my first born. Derek assured me that we'd find another one along the way, so we packed up and left.

It took about 5 hours to reach Maine, though that included quite a few potty breaks (I'm preparing Derek for fatherhood by testing his patience when it comes to stopping every hour). But finally, finally, finally, after years and years of dreaming...I see this...

DSC_0003

DSC_0005

So we're blurry...who cares? Lets focus on the sign people. We were in Maine. We were also representing the South pretty hardcore that night.

There were bugs. Immediately.

There were also informative signs meant to keep all tourists healthy.

 DSC_0006

We arrived just outside of Portland about 2 hours later, where we checked into a rather damp, buggy, but mostly acceptable room. Who cares about moths, spiders, and dead roach looking things when you know you're going to wake up and explore Maine the next day.

Do I sound a little obsessive? A little love sick teenage girlish? Well, I was and I am. I should say we are, because I'm pretty sure Derek loves it almost as much as I do.

1 comment:

  1. love the shirts and the people in them with the sign!
    mom

    ReplyDelete