Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The dry land version of Portland

After the cruise we walked right over to J's Oyster, where our bestest friend Tony Bourdain ate while in Maine. It was decent.

DSC_0192 

Then we just enjoyed our time walking around the city, exploring the millions of used bookstores, pottery places, yummy fudge, and just cute little stores.

DSC_0193

DSC_0195

DSC_0194

Derek modeling the cobblestone street. See how much fun he is having?

DSC_0196

DSC_0197

For some reason I stopped taking pictures at this point. We shopped for awhile, I bought way too many Stephen King books at more than one used book store, and then we had an appointment at Soakology Foot Sanctuary and Teahouse. Yes, a foot sanctuary. It was something we read about online and we thought, why not? We've never done anything remotely spa like and we wanted to spoil ourselves. Soakology is apparently unique to Portland and the whole concept is like a teahouse where you can get a footsoak, snacks, and massages if you choose. We got a little lost walking there and it was the hottest day we experienced in Maine (an excruciating 86 degrees), so by the time we got there we were a little warm and our feet could definitely use a good soaking (though it was nothing like a day walking around NYC).

You go in this little gift store looking area, nothing special, and order your soak and tea. Can I just say that the girls working there were super sweet and helpful. I called for directions and they were so nice. Pretty much everyone in Maine was nice.  Anyway, after you order they take you downstairs and its a totally different world down there. There are these big comfy couches and chairs up on platforms. They settle you in on a couch and then they roll up these HUGE bowls, full of hot water, stones, and whatever combo you ordered for your soak. You just put your sore little feet in there and relax. It doesn't seem like much, especially when you consider how much it costs, but was so nice and peaceful. The tea was excellent. I had a peach tea smoothie, since I pretty much hate tea, and I drank the whole thing and loved every yummy peachy sip. Derek also had his feet done with the pumice stone, which left them feeling so soft. You can also get a head, shoulder, arm massage or a foot and leg massage. There were a bunch of options. It was just an overall relaxing splurge. I wish I had pictures or a video or anything to show you how awesome it was.

 

DSC_0198

Random car...they love Disney even more than I do. Incredible.

That night we ate at a great vegetarian place called The Green Elephant. It was like veggie Asian food and it was completely different from anything we would have normally picked on our own. We had planned to eat at J's Oyster for dinner and do a culinary tour for lunch, but the lunch tour was canceled, which moved J's up and gave us a free dinner. We asked the girl at Soakology about places to it and she recommended the veggie place. I'm glad we got to explore something new and different because this place was delicious. The service was mediocre to say the least, but it was quick and I guess that makes up for the standoffishness.

After that, it was back to the hotel where we had some fudge we bought in town, which was delicious, and then it was off to sleep in our somewhat damp hotel room.

No comments:

Post a Comment