Thursday, May 28, 2009

My Birthday Week Part 3 - the actual day!

Derek woke me up in the morning (well, I guess in an effort to stay honest I should say more towards the afternoon) with a cake with candles lit, roses, and a really sweet card.

DSC_0676

DSC_0673

 

We lazed around for a little while and then we headed over to Brooklyn. We ate at a place called the ChipShop. We had seen a thing about it on TV, it is in Zagat's, and it is in our book of things to do, so we just had to go. It is basically a little bar that serves whatever fried food you want, but it is known for the fish and chips and how authentic they are.

So we headed over there. Derek had fish and chips, I had chicken fingers, and we shared a fried Twix bar. Yeah. Fried twix bar. It was heaven on a plate. The taste is something like a melted Twix inside a funnel cake....just so good. I'm sure it is awful for you but oh well...it isn't my birthday everyday, why not indulge?

After that we drove over the Brooklyn Bridge Park. We tried to make it until it was totally dark but I had to pee and apparently it doesn't get dark around here until after 9 PM (we were there at 8:30 and there was definitely no sign of night). We're going to have to go back when it is dark and take a tripod...it has a pretty view.

DSC_0709

 

DSC_0688 DSC_0689

 

Side of a trash can that was painted

DSC_0693 DSC_0710

 

DSC_0697

DSC_0705 DSC_0708

Some scray/funny graffiti

DSC_0711  DSC_0713

 

More Bridge:

DSC_0714  

DSC_0715

 

 

PS - I forgot to say earlier - you can click on the pictures and they should get bigger.

PSS - Derek has more pictures, most of which are better, but I don't have those on my computer yet.

PSSSSSSSS - the pictures that look identical expect that one is lighter and one is darker were my attempt at making it look like night, even though it wasn't. 

2 comments:

  1. Loved the views and I see you had a very special birthday, roses and cake and sleeping late - what more can a body wish for ? Brooklyn Bridge should be a sight at nite, will be fun to go back for the lights. I had a boss who ran the Marathon and he said what an awesome sight and a great feeling it was to cross the bridge, he talked about it for several weeks and we all got pretty tired of it! Do take some views of your neighborhood but really appreciate the effort of posting these great pictures. Nanny

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved the pix! the view from the roof of the met was gorgeous. i loved your egyptian statue impression. i remember being in that room with you but not that it was in a scene from when harry met sally.
    derek's cake and roses were beautiful. so glad you had a happy birthday. we miss you so much! love, mom

    ReplyDelete