Saturday, August 10, 2013

Staph Infection

We've been battling a pretty nasty staph infection for the last week. Well, in reality, it has been a month, but we've only had a diagnoses for a week. A month ago I took Madeline to the doctor for a weird diaper rash. It was coming and going, would be extremely bad and cause her a lot of pain, and wouldn't respond to any regular diaper cream. The doctor blew me off because the rash wasn't very apparent when I took her in. A week later, we went back for Madeline's 2 year old well baby appointment, and the rash was really evident. She blew us off again, telling us it was heat rash and to avoid bubble baths (and baths all together...she claims girls who haven't hit puberty shouldn't take baths...what?) and put cream on it. A few days later the all over rash started concentrating itself into what looked like little bug bites all over Madeline's butt. They started getting bigger, hard, and the redness was spreading, so I took her into urgent care. It took them 2 seconds to diagnose it as a staph infection. She started on oral and cream antibiotics and we are on day 6. We've been back to the doctor twice, and so far it looks like she is healing ok. The boils got huge and painful, there was a night of no sleep for either of us and days of her being so uncomfortable, but now they have all popped and she seems to be feeling much better. The second time we went to the doctor she was concerned about one of the boils because it isn't healing as fast as the others. She said "we have to look out because she has been going through this for a month. It looks like you brought her in with a rash a month ago..." I then recapped the last two appointments we had for her, explaining the evolution of the rash. Then she has the nerve to say, "well, that is usually how mRSA presents itself."
Well, if that is how mRSA presents itself, why didn't she catch it 3 weeks ago, before things got incredibly painful for my baby? I'm so irritated with the doctor and I'm considering switching as soon as we get through this.

Really this whole experience has made me incredibly grateful that I have had such a healthy baby. This is only her third big illness (she had that fever during our move from NY and the rash at 6 months old, which I'm not sure counts but was awful, so I'm counting it), her second time taking any antibiotic, and her first time taking an antibiotic more than once. I'm also so grateful she is such a tough cookie. This girl handles pain like a pro. She isn't a complainer or a whiner and is so easy to please, even when she feels awful. I'm pretty sure she handles being sick much better than her mom and dad do.

No comments:

Post a Comment