Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Fingerlakes Stops 3, 4, and 5

Next, we headed to the one place Derek REALLY wanted to go (and the whole reason we were on Keuka lake in the first place)…Dr. Konstantin Frank Vineyard. We had a hilarious guy doing our tasting and a group of retired truckers (I think) tasting with us. We ended up eating lunch at the same place as the people in the tasting, but there were so few people on the trail anyway, that we ran into a ton of people over and over again. Everyone was really nice and we ended up leaving with a free logo glass (that I broke) and a free baby book about grapes autographed by the author.

I’m not going to edit these because this is what it looked like outside that day (just a little blah), so this is how they’ll stay. 

 DSC_0431

DSC_0430

DSC_0428

DSC_0423

(Please ignore my bunched up undershirt)

 

After that we headed over to Heron Hill Winery, where we had planned to eat lunch as well as do a tasting, but their café was closed. This place had an amazing view but just ok wine and a rather small tasting room/store. It was the one place we didn’t buy anything at all, though the girl running the tasting was funny and made it enjoyable.

DSC_0439

DSC_0442

Since we couldn’t eat lunch there, we asked for recommendations, and for the second time we were told about the Village Tavern. The guy at Dr. Frank’s had mentioned being able to get a glass of any wine from almost any year in the area, so we headed over to the very small town of Hammondsport. It had an interesting menu and we had escargot as an appetizer. Derek had a lox sandwich and I had a crap cake sandwich….both were good but nothing super special. The best part was definitely the wine. Derek had a glass of Dr. Frank wine from 1995 and he really loved it.

By this point it was about 4:30 (lunch took FOREVER…the service was incredibly slow), so we headed over to our last winery, McGregor Vineyard, which was a Scottish place. It had a great view, which I didn’t take pictures of, and a really relaxed tasting room where you could sit and enjoy. They also served you little snacks like chocolate, herb and garlic cheese, and a cheese spread I can’t remember but it was all delicious. Derek had what we considered to be the best red of the day here and we bought some yummy herb and garlic cheese to take home. I may have eaten half the bag by myself already (but don’t tell him!)

DSC_0446

DSC_0447

DSC_0449

We had dinner plans to eat at an Austrian restaurant that was having some kind of wine and cheese night and I desperately needed a nap if we were going anywhere, so I went back to the hotel and slept, while Derek hung out at a local bar/restaurant. He wasn’t very hungry at lunch and by the time dinner rolled around I was still asleep and he was having fun, so we ended up ordering pizza from a local place, Derek took a long bath in the jet tub, and we both passed out.

The next day we had to check out and we headed to Niagara Falls.

 

Here is a picture of all our Fingerlakes loot, including onesie and baby book

DSC_0662

No comments:

Post a Comment