Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Emergency Surgery

Sunday the 7th I said good bye to my appendix after 24 long years together. I can't say I miss him, as he caused quite a bit of drama.

Story goes something like this:

Saturday I worked until 3:30, came home, and started getting a weird pain at the top of my stomach about an hour later. I thought it was gas or something along those lines, so I asked Derek (who was out golfing and eating and having a fun) to bring home ginger ale. I couldn't imagine it was something I ate since all I had was a banana, a yogurt, and a waffle all day. When he finally got home I drank it super fast, thinking I'd burp and feel better. Nope. I went to the bathroom later that night and I thought my insides were being ripped out. It was some of the worst pain I've ever felt and it was the worst the pain was the whole weekend. When the pain hadn't gone away by Sunday around 3 we decided to go to the hospital. I didn't want to wait for hours in the ER so we drove up to Greenwich, CT. It was a great ER with a short wait time and I'm so glad we went up there instead. We got there around 4 and I had my appendix out around 9 or 10 (I can't remember).  The surgeon was doubtful because he said I wasn't acting like I was in enough pain to have appendicitis, but he said it was definitely infected and they had to wash out my stomach cavity.

After the surgery I had to spend the worst night/morning in the hospital ever. I was roommates with a woman who had a knee replacement. She was 58 but she must have been a smoker because she sounded about 80 and she snored like an elephant...it was awful. She kept waking up, yelling at nurses, snoring, waking up and running into my bed, her phone rang so loud I'm pretty sure the whole hospital heard, then she yelled while she was on it, then she whined some more. Thank God I had my Ipod or I would have gotten no sleep, even with all the drugs. I had a wonderful night nurse but a very neglectful day nurse. Derek came back around 8 to hang out with me and was leaving to go back to class (had actually pulled out of the parking lot) when the surgeon said I could go home, so Derek came back and got me. He was so great the whole night before and that morning. Best husband ever award should be given. They were originally saying I was going to have to stay until later in the night or even til the next day, but I was so glad to go home.

The pain was pretty bad and Derek had a lot to do that week, so my mom came and stayed until this past Saturday. She helped me sit up and she cleaned the kitchen non stop, which was a huge help.In fact, I wish she was still here cleaning it. They were both so sweet and helpful and I'm glad I had them both here.

I should be good to go back to work on Friday but I wish I didn't have to go back at all. Ari and I have enjoyed our mini vacation.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy to see you felt like updating your blog. I wish I was still there cleaning your kitchen and washing/refilling 72 water bottles a day! Derek was husband-o-the year! I was so happy to help you and just be with you. I think our voice texting night will be one of my all time favorite memory nights...so happy you could laugh hysterically with me without too much pain! I LOVE YOU!!! XXOO, mom

    ReplyDelete