Today at work we had the biggest excitement of the year...a bomb threat! No need to worry, it wasn't a bomb threat at the bank, but there was a bomb found at one of the houses kind of caddy corner to the parking lot. The news van was there and there were tons of police cars and an ambulance. They even evacuated the surrounding houses. It all sounds so dramatic but the real story is mostly just funny. Apparently, the owner of the house had passed away and one of his relatives was cleaning out the house when they came across a World War Two mortar shell! I haven't heard anything since I left work, but everything is back to normal and the bomb is gone.
Here are 2 articles about it:
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bronx/mortar_shell_found_in_bronx_garage_DyBHAremdCEKMDVeDpZ8mI
Halloween was about as anti climatic this year as it was last year. We had big plans to go to the Halloween Parade and then a live showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show at midnight. Unfortunately, someone (who may or may not be me) didn't buy tickets for the movie in time and Derek wasn't too excited about going to the parade without going to the show afterwards, it was cold, and neither of us really wanted to deal with the crowds so we just stayed in. We didn't have a single trick or treater. Apparently, in the Bronx, you don't trick or treat by going door to door on your street. Instead, you go to a big street, in the middle of the afternoon, and walk around stores and what not. I can see why after being informed that the proper way to celebrate Halloween in these parts is to throw eggs (sometimes even frozen eggs) at other people. In other areas they were even throwing rocks and other things at cars. So dangerous and not my idea of fun.
I had something to put in the updates section but I guess nothing is as exciting at the bomb! haha.
Oh - right, updates. After living here since May, the landlord finally came to replace the stove, and in the process broke it. So now we have no stove. It can't get any better than this.
From Nanny-Fairburn
ReplyDeleteI do hope that when you receive this comment, you have acquired a new stove, do send an update. If I had to chose between rocks and eggs on Halloween, I would chose to stay at home also, did you watch a scary movie ? Went to a Birthday Party nearby and had lots of fun and a few little children. Tried to forward something to Derek, it stalled, I am sorry and will not try again. Had fun shopping at Macy's this morning with Dottie, found something for Derek that we thought was hilarious but also very practical for someone who lives in New York. Anyhow, thanks for the blogs. Love you both. Nanny