Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Poorest Urban County in the Country

And the winner is....

The Bronx! With a stunning 47 percent of households headed by women with children living in poverty. Meanwhile, apparently the recession hasn't touched Manhattan, where the number of New Yorkers making over 200K jumped by 19,000 and median income of the top 5% is $857,000. NY has the greatest income disparities in the nation according to The Gothamist.

Crazy. I'm so grateful for having stumbled on this house and for actually having the money to pay for it. We may not be making bank right now, but we're so lucky to have what we do.

1 comment:

  1. Derek and Lindsay:

    From Nanny - I am happy for you both that you are doing well, it does take lots of discipline but hey! we are looking at a 857,000.00 median income, eventually ... I enjoyed the Gran's visit article so very much, did you receive the e-mail I answered with since my comment didn't work. Love

    ReplyDelete