Another graveyard (Granary Burial Ground dating from 1660)
The remains of victims of the Boston Massacre
Samuel Adams
More creepy gravestones...I found the sign with the explanation. It says "death's head" is a non religious symbol and one of the earliest carvings used
All the trees in Boston have weird tumors
Imagine if this graveyard was your backyard...the people who live in the corner have literally no yard, just cemetery
Ari! We took him with us and I think he got more exercise in one day than the rest of his life combined. He slept for the next two days to recover.
Now here is a subway system we can figure out..its actually America's first subway system. I don't think its changed much, but Derek says it gets you where you need to go, and I guess that is the point. Who needs 87 lines and 40 different colors?
Boston commons and my future home in the background. The area around the Commons was obviously quite ritzy, as there was a BMW every other car, but the buildings were gorgeous and I wanted to go in one and just snoop around
The bar Cheer's was based on...
My little family in front a really pretty lake area. This park area was so pretty. I gave my Dad a hard time, but it turns out his portrait skills far exceed my hubby's.
Paul Revere's House...we didn't pay to go in, so there isn't much to say about it, except maybe they could have painted the outside in a better color
Cute Boston stuff
For Derek's Mom...I love those pink trees. We have them in our neighborhood and they were one of the first things to bloom. They are gorgeous and I want one in my future yard, but only if it comes with a yard guy to take care of it.
Ari traveled in style for part of our trip
Paul Revere and the church that had the signal light in it
I also want my yard guy to plant these in my future yard...I'm obsessed with them (taken in the memorial garden outside the church)
Don't tred on me
My Dad claims to have pushed my Mom up this hill...there are a billion hills in Boston. NY has the advantage of being fairly flat in comparison.
Just more graves and flowers
The USS Constitution ...oldest active ship in the US Navy
Bunker Hill. You can climb to the top (all 294 steps) and Dad seriously considered it. Maybe next time...it looks awfully claustrophobic in there.
Why don't I live here? (Specifically in the blue house on the right)
Apparently we were done taking pictures after that. We walked the Freedom Trail in two parts. We did all the stuff in the first post, ate lunch at Faneuil Hall, and then did this half. Faneuil Hall was like a giant food court, with some pretty yummy bakeries inside. After we finished the Freedom Trail, we went to Modern Pastry, where Derek bought what was suppose to be the best cannoli ever. It was a pretty good one, but Arthur Avenue in the Bronx still wins the award for the best cannoli ever (in my book at least). Dad and I also had some pretty yummy gelato. After we left Boston we drove around the outside of Harvard's campus, which was so much cuter than I expected. I can't wait to go back and explore more.
It was a really great little weekend vacation and I'm so happy we got the chance to do it. We'll definitely be going back sometime soon.
Good job Lindsay loved the pictures. We have not been there but love the way you tell about it. Keep up the good work. Love you Gran
ReplyDeleteWonderful pictures. Sounds like so much fun.
ReplyDeleteGrand Dad