Thursday, August 27, 2009

Derek's dreams have finally come true!

He got to go eat at the Seinfeld restaurant! Its called Tom's Restaurant and the outside was used as the diner where the cast ate. The inside was a studio though, so it doesn't look anything like the inside of the restaurant. The food was good, typical diner stuff, nothing too special.

DSC_0155

That is how it usually looks on the show

DSC_0154

Derek finally eating a Tom's. He wasn't happy about me taking pictures in there...he was concerned we looked like tourists. Everyone else in there was a tourist though so I didn't care.

DSC_0156

The wall by the cash register. They only take cash and it was so old fashion and kind of cute. Also, the cast of Seinfeld wall apparently.

DSC_0157

About 2 blocks down is the Church of St. Johns. It is the largest cathedral in the world and has been under construction for over 100 years. They haven't finished the original plans yet because of money problems and a fire or something. Oh - and it is Episcopalian, though it looks suspiciously Catholic. It has these little chapels called The Chapels of the Tongues and they're dedicated to the immigrant groups that settled in the US during the late 19h and early 20th centuries.

Derek in front of the church.

DSC_0162

Front of the church, couldn't get far enough away to get it all in. It is really skinny, so it doesn't look that big from the outside, but it is super long. I think I read its as long as 2 football fields.

DSC_0163

DSC_0167

This is the Rose Window. It is the largest Rose Window in the US and has a figure of Christ in the middle that is 5 feet 7 inches tall. That is taller than me by a good 5 inches. Pretty impressive.

DSC_0178

DSC_0221

Front door from other side of the church. It was so tall I couldn't get the whole thing in. A lot of the pictures are blurry or dark because it was so large and dark using the flash was difficult or pointless.

DSC_0200

They had these awesome stained glass windows around the nave. Each window had a theme. There was American, Anglican, Law, Education, Crusaders, Arts, Sports, Military, Earth, Medical, Communications, labor, Missionary, and All Souls. I think they were my favorite part. Also impossible to get non blurry pictures of most of them.

The sports window

DSC_0173

Close up, so you can see the different sports and details (hopefully!)

sports sg

Blurry but long hallway - it was endless

DSC_0174

When you came in this is what you saw. I tired it without the flash and it was too blurry, so this was an attempt with the flash. Also pretty awful, but at least not blurry.

DSC_0177

Literature!

DSC_0182

DSC_0180

Look in the corner - its the Titanic!

DSC_0188

The high alter. It has 2 Menorahs, given by the founder of the New York Times, two vases from the Japanese Emperor Hirohito in 1926, and two gilded teak prayer chests from the King of Siam in 1930. Pretty neat I thought.

DSC_0202

DSC_0204

This is the roof of the great Crossing and it was so huge that you couldn't see the top - it was just dark. It can fit the Statue of Liberty (minus her pedestal) inside. This was pointed at the ceiling...all dark.

DSC_0205

This was a really cool art piece called "The Fate of the Earth" by Peter Gourfain. I know you can't see details but it started with wilderness, had humans in the middle, and ended with animals and woods again.

DSC_0212

The Bronze doors at the front. They were cast by the same people who cast the Statue of Liberty.

DSC_0224

Oh and to end the post - our new friend the opossum-who-comes-out-during-the-day. Derek named him Fred, he says there is a fat one named George.

DSC_0146

And our subway stop

DSC_0148

2 comments:

  1. Hello you two:
    Such a rainy Sunday afternoon, I was checking my e-mail and read your blog of the 27th. Truly, Lindsay, you should be a travel reporter, thank you for describing the cathedral so well and for giving those little bits of information. You are correct, Episcopalian churches do look like Catholic churches who, in Europe, in addition, have statues of various saints according to the region where the churches are located. Around Orleans, each church has its Joan of Arc Chapel and we saw one in Reims also, I will mail the postcard to you and Derek. That is because the King was crowned there in Reims Cathedral after Joan of Arc's army defeated the english in Orleans. Anyhow, so much history, I love churches and really appreciated your taking the time to write and send the pictures. In Spain, there is also a cathedral and I forgot where it is located, anyhow, it is still in the process of being completed.
    Had a good chuckle re. the Friends restaurant, and your comment that Derek didn't want to look like a tourist made me laugh ... Cecile loved to watch Friends, I will ask Derek to mail this picture to her, she would be so tickled, I will mail the address and a reminder.
    Well, thanks again, I hope you are both well and do let me know if you receive my comments, I do try to answer each time I read on your blog to let you know how much I appreciate it.
    Love you both, Nanny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked the info! I sometimes think it'll be boring for people to read, but I want to make sure we remember it, and I think it is interesting.

    I loved the churches in Spain, so goregous, and I can't wait to see more in Europe. I wish I had better pictures of this one but it was so huge and hard to take pictures of.

    ReplyDelete