and go Downtown! That is where we spent our 4th trip into Manhattan. We explored the Financial District, which is the southern part of NYC, and has some of the older attractions. Turns out that it was also the Puerto Rican National Pride Parade that day and it went right down 5th Avenue. We were on the bus for an hour, just to get to 56th street, and we had been planning on going to 23rd street (which normally takes 30 minutes at the most). The bus couldn't go any further, so we got off early, and just happened to be right near F.A.O Schwarz. I really wanted to take Derek there, so we went in, and it was insanely crowded. We could only stay a minute because we were planning on taking the subway, and you get one free transfer if you ride the subway within 2 hours of riding the bus, and we spent an hour on the bus...so we didn't have long to play :( I didn't take any pictures but I plan on going back again, so I'll take pictures then.
On our walk to the subway it started to drizzle...so much for the weather prediction. By the time we rode the 50ish some odd blocks to where we were getting off, it had stopped raining. We decided to start at City Hall Park because there was suppose to be some statue, but we didn't see it, nor did we see actual City Hall. We did see the beginning of the Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan Municipal Building.
The top of the Municipal Building.
The front of the Building. I couldn't get the whole thing...it was huge.
The building from City Hall Park, in front of fountain.
The Brooklyn Bridge and the tons of people walking across it. I had better pictures but they didn't make it to my computer apparently.
We then walked to see the World Trade Center site. It is pretty much all blocked off by big covered fence and all you can see is the construction. There is a "memorial site" but really it is just like a museum and it was so crowded and cost money.
On our way there we saw this:
I didn't get a far away shot because someone (*cough* Derek *cough*) was in some kind of hurry.
This was erected on the side of the church, which is about a block from the WTC site.
The most you could see at the WTC site
Construction stuff at the WTC site
There were these bridges set up to walk over and around the construction. I tried to take a picture of the site from the bridge, but this was the best I could do.
From there we decided to walk to Battery Park, which wraps around the tip of Manhattan, and walk around to the other side of the island. It was a ton of walking but pretty worth it. This was probably the only hour of nice weather we had while down there. Right at the beginning of the park (if you walk from the WTC site down some street whose name escapes me) is the Irish Hunger Memorial. It was this strange little raised cliff type thing with stones, grass, and at the top of a neat view across the water. It definitely stuck out, but was a cute little memorial.
View from the street
Walking around the side of it...you can see how it comes up off the ground. It has quotes about hunger all the way around.
You enter in this little tunnel, that also has quotes about hunger on the sides, and a motion activated freaky voice that comes on and talks about hunger. You can see the stone wall and the door that you walk through to get to the top
View from the top
So then we started walking around the park. You can see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island for most of the walk....it was a cool view. I'm not sure what this place was called but there was an area with a little dock type place with amazing yachts and sailboats. They were gorgeous and huge and I was totally envious and drooling. They also had these neat quotes on the fence surrounding the dock to the boats. We saw some pretty hard core rollerblading badminton action as well. It was awesome. Here are some boats...I'm accepting donations to my I need a huge yacht fund at the moment.
Ok, so maybe that was overboard. The sad part, I totally took more pictures of just boats than I posted.
I think I'll have to leave the rest of the trip to part 2 and 3....this is getting rather long. Gah. I'm so behind on posting. I know life is going to get boring and I'm not going to have anything to post someday soon, so I should enjoy it while it last (and you should to!).
Derek's last day of school is tomorrow and then he has a 3 week mini vacation. He still has to go in and PT every morning but no class. Jessie is flying in on Sunday and we're driving her up to Camp Ramapo, where she'll be working for the summer. She'll visit longer for a few days in August. I'm not sure what we'll do with all the free time for the next 3 weeks, free time is one thing we already have a lot of, I can't imagine more.
One thing we have decided to do is watch our ENTIRE DVD collection, by letter. We started the A's yesterday with Aladdin. It might take forever, or it might just take 3 really long weeks. haha.
If I don't post parts 2 and 3 ASAP, start yelling at me to do my job.
PS - I'm reading this awesome novel, The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb. It is super long but really good and completely heartbreaking and moving. I definitely recommend it if you need a good book. Plus, it was my first official check out from the New York Public Library. Which, by the way, is not quite all I hoped it would be. Our branch is rather sad and more kids are at the library playing Guitar Hero (no lie...they have it WITH guitars out for kids to play) than doing any library related stuff. The 2 times I've been (to check out a book and to pick up my card) the librarians were pissed they had to get up and actually check out my book. No joke, the lady sneered at me. Terrible customer service. I'm getting books online, from their catalogue. If they have it at one library, they'll send it to yours, so I can get more books than the library offers thank goodness, since they only have about 5 at my branch. I don't know why those ladies were so angry. So much for the idea of applying for a job there...I couldn't work with such miserable coworkers.
Ok, enough rambling. More pictures soon.
PSS - if there are terrible typos I apologize. Derek isn't awake to proofread for me. Yes, I do have a degree in English. No, I can't proofread my own blog post. ha.
Lindsay, this was so very interesting to read about your sightseeing in New York and with the pictures, and the anecdotes it is great fun! I hope you have fun for the three weeks 'vacation', is there a swimming pool near by? Well, it would have to be a paying one you wouldn't want to be with all these guitar-playing kids ... too bad about the library, you had not mentioned before about anyone being rude but when it is like that, you have to smile and pretend she is being very helpful that'll throw her for a loop. How are you all doing with cooking, are you taking turn or do you do lunch and he does dinner or something like that or he cooks and you clean? Thank you for the blog, you are doing great, love reading about you both as I think of you often. Nanny
ReplyDelete